|Two Races Then Big Winds Cancelled Racing||| Print ||
June 7, 2012
It was a short day for the match racers today as only two races were completed for each group before we were sent ashore and then later cancelled for the day as the winds started to reach 50kts. But despite it being short, it was successful and we won our two races to finish the seeding round third overall.
(Photo: copyright Mick Anderson/SailingPix.dk)
The repechage were the first group out on the water as they finished the last two races of their round to determine who would advance to the quarterfinals. Teams Hazard and Echegoyan were the top two teams and will join the gold round in the quarterfinals.
The gold round took over the boats and started racing around 11:30am. By that time, the wind was slowly increasing and the rain was still coming down hard, actually fairly horizontal. Our first race was against our training partners Team Audi Match Race (FIN). We had a slightly better start and were able to lead the race from start to finish. Our second and final race of the day started out like it was going to be a fantasticly close race, but just as we both tacked into the top mark, the Australian's main halyard snapped. We were right on their tail when it happened, so had to pull up rather sharply and wait for them to get out of the way so we could round the mark and stay clean of penalties. But pretty soon after that it became apparent that they were not going to be able to finish the race and so we just had to make it to the finish line in one peice to score the point. With that in mind and given the conditions, we safely cruised around the course in order to minimize the risk of us breaking something and preventing us from finishing too.
After we were sent in, the wind very quickly built to the point that readings of 54kts were being recorded just off the sea wall where we raced. Racing was cancelled around 4:30pm, and start times were pushed back to noon tomorrow at the earliest given the forecast. The hope is to complete the quarterfinals tomorrow and depending on the timing and wind strength, more races may be completed. We are up against Team Audi Match Race in the quarters which is a first-to-3-points series.
After dinner this evening, we received an email from the team meteorologist telling us to check out the waves breaking on Chesil Beach along the causeway. Not only was the strength of the breeze impressive, but also the size of the waves and the spray coming off them as they crashed on the beach drenching everything in their path. Despite getting wet and salty again, it was well worth the trip up the dune. (Photo: Team Maclaren 2012)
You can follow the scores at the regatta website.
We would very much like to thank our Title Sponsor, Maclaren, our Gold Level Sponsors 11th Hour Racingand Laser Performance, and our Bronze Level Sponsors Carmeuse, Trinity Yachts, Chicago Match Race Center, and Sperry Top-Siderfor their continued support of our campaign for the 2012 Olympic Games. We would also like to thank St Francis Sailing Foundation, and US Sailing Team Sperry Top-Sider and its sponsors for their continued support. Also, thank you to our private donors. Please remember that any and all donations/contributions to our campaign should be made payable to Sailing Foundation of New York, in the memo write 'Anna Tunnicliffe' and send to Sailing Foundation of New York (this one is tax deductible); or to Anna Tunnicliffe (via PayPal). (Please follow the links for more information. Thank you.)
And as usual, don't forget, email us your questions and comments. We love getting them and sharing our love of sailing and women's match racing.
Anna: 4D's: "Dream,Desire,Dedication,Discipline" TM
Team Maclaren: 3P's: Passion...Performance...Perfection...TM